Water Heater Repair Services in Portland
Your water heater is a sophisticated system of components that works very hard all day, every day. Most problems start small and may not even be noticed until all you have is cold water from your faucet or shower. Fortunately, Sky’s plumbing professionals can take care of any problem, big or small, and restore your hot water.
Available 24/7 to Address Your Needs
We provide 24/7 service in the Portland area, so you can call no matter what time your water heater isn’t working right. Our technicians are dispatched immediately and arrive with all the tools and parts they need to troubleshoot, diagnose, and fix the problem. Whether the source of the issue are mineral deposits, a leak, faulty temperature and pressure relief valve, worn anode rod, damage flue pipe, or faulty burner, Sky is ready to resolve the underlying cause of your troubles. Call and we’ll start with a thorough inspection and provide an accurate quote on your water heater repair cost.
Types of Water Heaters
At Sky Heating & Air Conditioning, we pride ourselves in being able to repair any type of water heater. The main types on the market include the following models:
- Tankless: A tankless water heater in Portland is much smaller than a traditional unit and turns on only when you use a hot water tap, saving a lot of energy. Water is heated instantly, by a natural gas burner or electric heating coil, as it flows through tubes in the unit. Once the hot water is turned off, the heater also turns off.
- Conventional: The capacity of the tank determines how much hot water is available. Insulation around the tank keeps water warm, but if it’s not used in a while, water is reheated to the preset temperature. Water is typically kept at around 120℉; a temperature control valve releases heat if it goes higher.
- Heat Pump: Uses heat from the ground or air to increase water temperature. A heat pump water heater is more efficient because it moves heat rather than generates it, so less electricity is used. The pump is usually installed on top of the heater, so the system requires more vertical space than other models.
- Solar Powered: Energy is transferred from roof-mounted solar panels to a closed loop system. A heat-conductive material within this loop heats the water contained in the tank. While the heater will work during warm, sunny days, natural gas or electricity may be needed when it’s cloudy.
- Condensing: A condensing water heater uses heated exhaust as a source of heat. Fumes pass through coils at the bottom of the tank. Most of the energy needed has already been used by an oven, heater, or other source, so this option is extremely efficient in homes that use natural gas.
Signs Your Water Heater Needs to Be Repaired
Oftentimes, the sooner you repair your water heater, the less the damage and the cost of service. At the very least, you can avoid an inconvenient breakdown and get more life out of your system. Signs gas or electric water heater repair is needed include:
- The Water Doesn’t Stay Hot: Water may get hotter or colder without any changes to settings. This is often caused by mineral deposits on heating components.
- Reduced Water Pressure: Pipes within or connected to the appliance can become blocked, causing a reduction in water pressure downstream, where your faucets are.
- Water Is Cloudy: If cloudy water is running from your taps, mineral deposits may be filling your water heater. A foul odor may mean the tank is contaminated with bacteria.
- Rusty Water: The appearance of rusty water from the hot water tap means metal components in the heater are corroded or damaged.
- Only Lukewarm Water Runs: Unless the settings have been changed, it’s an extremely cold day, or more hot water is used than usual, lukewarm water can indicate a problem with a burner or heating element.
- You Keep Running Out of Hot Water: Can also mean the heating element or burner needs to be repaired. If the water turns ice cold in a few minutes, contact a repair professional before there’s no hot water at all.
- Hot Water Is Leaking: The amount of water trickling down the side of the unit may be minute, but this means something inside your water heater is damaged.
How Much Does Water Heater Repair Cost?
If your water heater is under warranty, you may not have to pay anything except for labor to have it fixed. Warranty terms vary from company to company; they can last from two to up to 12 years. Repairs can cost several hundred to over a thousand dollars depending on the problem. At Sky, we will inspect your malfunctioning water heater to determine exactly what is wrong and tell you what the water heater repair cost will be—and stick to that price.
Schedule Water Heater Repair with Sky Heating & Air Conditioning
Whether you’re looking for conventional or tankless water heater repair near you, or need heat pump replacement in Oregon City or anywhere in the area, our team is ready to help. Our goal is to provide the highest-quality service and exceed expectations. Customers across Portland, Gresham, The Dalles, and other local communities depend on us for 24/7 emergency service and permanent solutions. To get started, schedule your visit online or call 888-900-2109 today.