As frequently used as they are replied upon, air conditioners are an essential appliance. As much as we try, ac problems occur all too often in the summer months. An air conditioner breakdown can be costly while making your home inhospitable if it’s hot enough. While regular maintenance is the most effective means of prevention, AC issues do still occur. Here are some of the most common AC problems and ways to fix them:
1. Low Refrigerant
Circulating throughout the lines between and within the compressor, condenser, and evaporator, refrigerant removes heat from the air. If refrigerant is low, your air conditioner cannot cool your home. In addition to a common ac problem, a refrigerant leak can cause additional damage and potentially harm the environment. It’s essential to contact a technician who can repair the leak, which sometimes requires fixing multiple holes in the lines.
2. Frozen Coils
Evaporator coils depend on warm air circulation to function properly. A lack of airflow due to other AC problems can cause the coils to get cold. The coils can then freeze, preventing cold air from reaching your home. Your AC might stop working altogether. The issue can be caused by dirty filters, an AC fan issue, or a blocked duct or vent.
3. Dirty Condenser Coils
The AC condenser coils release heat outside, but a layer of dirt and grime can affect heat transfer. This forces an air conditioner to work harder. Accelerated wear can lead to component and system failure. Too much dirt can cause the condenser to stop running.
4. Fan Issues
The fan is an important component that blows indoor air over the evaporator coil. Another fan serves the condenser in the outdoor unit. A faulty fan is often caused by other AC issues, such as a faulty motor, worn belt, poor lubrication, or contamination. If your air conditioner is not cooling or outside air unit is not turning on, a fan may have failed.
5. Leaking Air Ducts
If your ductwork leaks air, there may be holes, cracks, and loose connections where you can’t see them. Cooled air is then released into unused spaces and even outside. A great deal of energy can be wasted in this way and your air conditioner must work much harder.
6. Broken/Old Thermostat
An often overlooked ac problem, faulty or improperly calibrated thermostat can send the wrong signal to your air conditioner. If your central air has stopped working, recalibrating or replacing the thermostat can fix the problem. Or, perhaps, the settings are incorrect and the unit needs to be reset.
7. Clogged Drain
Air conditioners remove moisture from the air, controlling indoor humidity, but a clogged drain can prevent it from being released into the drain line. The drain pan can fill up and water can back up into the system, damaging HVAC components and your home.
How to Fix AC Problems
How to fix an air conditioner depends on the underlying problem. These are some common solutions if you start to experience AC trouble:
- Replace Filters: Frozen coils are often due to clogged air filters; replacing the filters can resolve the issue so your AC works again.
- Inspect: An expert inspection of AC components and ductwork can find hidden issues; holes in ducts can cause major performance and efficiency problems but can be fixed.
- Regular Maintenance: Proper maintenance can prevent almost all common causes of HVAC problems; it includes filter changes, refrigerant recharges, and tune-ups.
- Clear Debris: If dirt, leaves, or trash have collected around the outdoor unit, clear them away so the system can release heat as designed.
- Call A Professional: A broken air conditioner requires expert care. If you’re not sure how to fix a minor problem, contact a repair professional who can quickly diagnose the issue and fix/replace any faulty components.
Contact Sky Heating & Air Conditioning
Our AC repair professionals are extensively trained at fixing any problem, regardless of its size or scope. We offer 24-hour air conditioner repair. For more information on our services, maintenance plans, and financing options, continue browsing, and call 541-275-2918 to request a visit today!