A pipe leak is a serious enough situation. But if you don’t even know you have one, thousands of gallons of water may be wasted. Between higher water bills and water damage repair costs, the impact on your bank account can be harsh. An undetected leak in water pipes can lead to major water damage while a hidden gas leak can be even more dangerous. Fortunately at Sky Heating and Air Conditioning, we provide leak detection equipment and services to address your problem quickly.
What Causes Water Leaks?
Water pipes generally do a good job at transporting water where it’s supposed to go, but there are many reasons why you might need leak detection. Here are some examples.
- Clogs: A clogged drain is annoying but may also cause an overflow or a leak in a pipe due to excess strain, eventually leading to major flood.
- High pressure: High water pressure is great for a shower, but not your pipes; the extra force can put a strain on piping and cause it to leak.
- Extreme temperatures: Rapid changes in temperature can cause pipe to expand and contract quickly, eventually causing it to crack.
- Worn out pipe joints: Plumbing pipes are connected in segments, linked by joints, which are the weakest elements of the system; although hard to spot, they are prone to deterioration and leaking.
- Tree roots: The roots of trees can grow into water lines for moisture and nutrients. This causes leaks and drops in pressure originating from underground pipes outside of your home.
Signs You May Have a Leak Problem
A water leak is a common cause of low water pressure, especially if the flow is weak and no other fixtures are being used. Higher water bills, mold and mildew, a running toilet, water stains on walls and ceilings, a sagging ceiling, pealing wallpaper, damage to flooring, and rusty pipes can indicate there’s a leak somewhere. If there is water or cracked floors in your basement, you may have a slab leak.
Vibration and rattling sounds in plumbing should also not be ignored. And if you hear the sound of running water and nothing is on, call a plumber for water leak detection right away. A water leak can cause serious property damage; in extreme cases, soil erosion under the foundation or swimming pool deck could threaten the structural integrity of your home.
Proper Pipe Maintenance and Avoiding Leaks
A plumbing leak can be avoided with preventative maintenance and proper care. The following steps should be considered:
- Don’t flush or pour anything down a drain, like grease, that can cause a clog.
- Unclog drains quickly when they are slow; vinegar and hot water often help.
- Have your water pressure tested or install a pressure regulator.
- Get leaking toilets inspected/fixed by a professional.
- Check the shower head for sediment.
- Inspect exposed pipes and appliances for leaks.
- Routinely drain sediment from your water heater.
Contact Sky Heating, AC & Plumbing for Your Leak Detection!
We are licensed, bonded, and insured to provide pipe leak detection services in Portland and The Dalles. Our plumbers use the latest equipment and techniques to spot hidden problems and provide the repair you need. Whether we find previously undetected damage, or you have an emergency in your kitchen or bathroom, you can depend on our expertise and quality service. Schedule your appointment online or call 503-235-9083 to speak to a team member today!