A thermostat looks generally simple; however, it’s the control center for your HVAC system. When you set a temperature, it sends a signal to your AC or heater to start running. The thermostat also monitors your home’s temperature to tell the system when to turn on and off. Your comfort and safety depend on it working correctly; therefore, scheduling thermostat replacement with a local electrical contractor at the right time is critical.
Sky provides thermostat installation and replacement services in Portland, OR. We can select a controller that’s compatible with your existing system and install all types of units, from digital to the latest smart thermostats. If it’s time to replace your thermostat, let us evaluate your heating and cooling needs, expectations, and schedule to find the most efficient solution.
Is it Time for a New Thermostat?
A problem with your thermostat can cause your entire HVAC system to go haywire. You may need a new device if any of the following apply:
- The Thermostat and/or HVAC System Won’t Turn On: If the thermostat won’t turn on and changing the batteries doesn’t fix the problem, it should be replaced (along with its wiring). Also, consider replacing it if your HVAC unit doesn’t respond to settings or the system turns on and off unexpectedly.
- Energy Bills Are Too High: If you’re paying more for utilities, the thermostat may have incorrect temperature readings, causing your HVAC system to run longer and use more energy than necessary. Replacing your thermostat can cut high energy bills to a manageable level.
- You Have an Analog Thermostat: A thermostat typically lasts about 10 years, but many professionals suggest replacing it sooner as newer technologies become available. Analog units are inefficient. Replace your non-programmable thermostat with a programmable model that can learn your schedule.
- Temperature Readings Are Inaccurate: Test the unit’s accuracy by checking its reading against a portable indoor thermometer. If the thermostat registers an incorrect temperature, its sensor may be malfunctioning. It could also have a wiring or circuit problem. The best option is to replace it.
- The System Won’t Maintain Consistent Temperatures: If the thermostat won’t maintain its setting, even shortly after you lower the temperature, have a technician evaluate it. There’s a chance it’s defective, faulty, or reaching the end of its operating life.
Introducing Smart Thermostat Installation
Replacing an old thermostat is an opportunity to benefit from the latest technologies. Automatic programming helps manage your heating and cooling system, especially if you’re not home most of the day. Here are some advantages of smart thermostat installation:
- Adjust Settings from Anywhere: Smart thermostats are connected to the internet. You can adjust them from your smartphone or tablet. Therefore, your home can be comfortable when you return from work, or you can turn down the AC if you forgot to before you left.
- Energy Bill Savings: According to Energy Star, you can save about 8% on your annual heating and cooling bills.¹ A smart thermostat makes adjustments based on the outdoor temperature, the setting you prefer, and how many hours you’re usually away from home. It can also measure how long it takes to heat or cool your home.
- Receive Mobile Alerts: Smart thermostats can provide all kinds of reminders and notifications. They can alert you when to change the air filter or schedule maintenance. You can also view temperature trends, energy usage, and alerts on power outages and system failures.
- Pattern Tracking: You might not think about when you change temperature settings or by how much. But a smart thermostat can do this for you. It can provide insights that help you improve comfort and energy efficiency.
- Improve Indoor Air Quality: Smart thermostats can monitor indoor humidity levels, which can avoid excessive dryness, prevent mold growth, and slow the spread of germs. Reminders to change filters help keep your home free of allergens and pollutants.
- Compatibility with Other Smart Devices: Many smart thermostats are compatible with home assistants. Therefore, you can use voice control to lower or increase the temperature, ask what the temperature of a certain room is, or turn your heating or cooling system on or off.
Contact Sky Heating Today
Thermostat installation involving the latest smart technologies requires wiring expertise. Sky Heating is an electrical company that can address your HVAC needs and install or replace a thermostat. Therefore, you can get the most out of your heating and cooling system. Inquire about our special offers and maintenance plans to save. To request thermostat replacement, HVAC maintenance, or electrical services in Portland, OR, call (503) 744-6138 today.